Our practice goes far beyond the ordinary estate planning practice. Of course, we do wills, trusts, living trusts, living wills, and health care powers of attorney to address many of life's transitions, but we also handle all sorts of matters that are unique to having a disability or handicap. Contact us to speak to an estate planning lawyer experienced in planning for the unique needs of disabled or handicapped people.
Resources Available For Those With Special Needs
Many disabled persons have no idea how many Illinois and federal resources there are to help them live more comfortably, get around more easily and extend their financial resources.
Some examples are:
- A combination of Medicare and Medicaid assistance
- Prescription drug assistance
- Making transfers of assets or gifts of assets that preserve eligibility for Medicaid
- Purchasing exempt assets, including prepaid funeral plans
- Working for limited periods of time to gain eligibility for the Illinois health benefits for workers program
- Establishing special needs trusts, supplemental needs trusts, so-called "payback trusts" from proceeds of a personal injury settlement or an inheritance
- Housing assistance
We have years of experience working with clients to ensure that they are tapping into all the community resources for which they may be eligible. We are excited when we see our clients' relief at learning they are eligible for many benefits or assistance they didn't know existed.
The Benefits Of Long-Term Care Insurance
We also help people understand their long-term care insurance policies. Many people purchase policies but don't understand the benefits, the exclusions and other terms. Many discover that there are benefits which they could be taking advantage of right now. Others realize they may need to supplement the policy.
Contact our office for assistance from a knowledgeable attorney on all these issues by calling Leonard F. Berg, Attorney at Law, in East Alton, Illinois, at 618-216-6681.